top of page


Waukegan Expungement & Record Sealing Attorneys Serving Lake County IL

Illinois law allows for certain criminal records to be removed or expunged through the expungement process. When a record is expunged, it is as if that crime never happened. In addition, those with an expunged criminal record can answer “no” legally when asked if they have ever been arrested. Having your record expunged, or sealed can help you gain housing, student loans, and future employment opportunities.

What Records Can Be Expunged in Illinois?

In most cases, your criminal record can be expunged if:

  • If you were released without being convicted following a supervision sentence (DUI charges and some sexual offenses excluded.)

  • You were convicted of a juvenile crime prior to the age of 17, are at least 21 years of age now, and have had no juvenile court proceeding for the last five years.

  • You were found not guilty or the state dismissed the charges against you

  • You were sentenced to 710, 1410, Section 10, Section 410, 40-10, or TASC Probation for a felony offense

  • You were sentenced to supervision for a misdemeanor charge, it’s been at least two years (sometimes five) since the supervision ended, and you haven’t been arrested or charged with a crime since then.

Although Illinois provides these expungement guidelines, there can always be exceptions made based on the circumstances of your individual arrest and conviction. An experienced expungement attorney can examine your specific case to determine whether you may qualify for an expungement. In addition, if it is not possible to get your record expunged, a qualified lawyer may be able to help you get your record sealed.

What step should I take to get a record expunged in Illinois?

First, you must file a Petition to Expunge with the Clerk of Courts for the county where you were arrested. The paperwork and contents of the petition may vary depending on the circumstances of your arrests, convictions and individual situation.  You will need to provide the relevant dates, parties, and facts of your criminal charges.



Call us 24/7 at (847) 336-7888 or CONTACT US ONLINE.

bottom of page